Student editors from Columbia University, Howard University, Northeastern University, Northern Arizona University, Seton Hall University, Texas A&M University, University of Florida, University of Illinois, University of Iowa, University of Missouri – Saint Louis and the University of Oklahoma, traveled to Israel on this year’s University Student Media seminar. Highlights of the seminar included discussions with foreign correspondents in Israel from The New York Times and The Chicago Tribune as well as a meeting with Jewish and Arab participants in a film workshop designed to promote coexistence. The delegation met with leading Israeli and Palestinian policymakers, academics and government officials. Upon their return to the U.S., two participants gave a presentation about their experiences in Israel at a conference sponsored by College Media Advisors, which was attended by over fifty editors and advisers of campus newspapers.
This delegation is comprised of editors of leading university and college newspapers. These student editors meet with a cross-section of Israeli Jewish, Arab, Palestinian and foreign journalists to explore professional challenges and the impact of regional conflict on reporting. These student leaders are provided with an introduction to Israeli history and politics as well as briefings on the historical and current understanding of the regional conflict. The students will also have the opportunity to meet with Israeli university student newspaper editors to discuss the differences and similarities in serving as leaders on U.S. and Israeli campuses. In addition to the focus on journalism, these students will visit sites throughout Israel to learn about the economy, water issues, Arab-Jewish coexistence, education and immigrant absorption to gain a greater understanding of Israeli society.
December 30, 2008 – January 5, 2009 Press
- American college reporter see Israel up close in “The Editors” screened tomorrow in DC- Huffington Post
- American college journalists see Israel up close in “The Editors”-Mideast Youth
- Israeli program aims to show Israel as it is to journalists and others-Israel News
- Dubbins, Andrew, “Georgetown Newspaper Editor Reports on Sderot-Gaza, and Recording With Rockets,” The Huffington Post, January 9, 2009.
- Also Carried in: All Fairness, Sarah Palin, Elanso, Silo Breaker, Yahoo News, Kosmix, NewsTin, Big Media Blog, Metro Proper
- Kaiser, Emily, “Minn. Daily editor writes firsthand account of life in Israel during attacks,” January 5, 2009.
- Kloosterman, Karin, “Minnesota College Newspaper Editor’s Thoughts on Israel,” The Huffington Post, January 2, 2009.
- Also carried in: Peppertail, How to Editor, NewsTin, Seriously Media, Blog Runner
- Lavrusik, Vadin, “A Minnesota College Newspaper Editor on Israel-Hamas Conflict, from Tel Aviv,” The Huffington Post, January 2, 2009. PDF
- Also carried in: Furli, Big Media Blog, Micro Use
Lavrusik- in Tel Aviv Fighting is Distant -MN Daily 1/2/09
- Lavrusik, Vadim, “Israel Journal: A soldier back from the northern border,” The Minnesota Daily, January 25, 2009.
- Lavrusik, Vadim, “On Alert: Student-soldiers in Israel,” The Minnesota Daily, January 19, 2009.
- Lavrusik, Vadim, “Israel Journal: Analysis of media coverage of Israeli-Hamas conflict,” The Minnesota Daily, January 6, 2009.
- Lavrusik, Vadim, “Israel Journal: The whole country is not at war,” The Minnesota Daily, January 6, 2009.
- Lavrusik, Vadim, “Israel Journal: A glimpse into an immigrant absorption center,” The Minnesota Daily, January 9, 2009.
- Marklein, Mary Beth, “Campus roundup: Reporting on Middle East,” USA Today, February 9, 2009.
- Marks, Will, “Hoya Editor Reports from Israel,” SaxaSpeak, January 12, 2009.
- “Promoting New Views on the News,” Haaretz, January 9, 2009.
- Sachs, Peter, “Near the fighting, but feeling far from it,” ChiTown Daily News, January 9, 2009.
- Also Carried in: Eclectic Lives, Living Collectively
- Smith, Stew “Students travel by planes, trains, snowmobiles,” The Journal, Webster University, January 15, 2009.
- Kredo, Adam, “’It’s a war, but you don’t feel it.’ College journalists tour Israel in midst of war,” Washington Jewish Week, January 7, 2009.
- Wallace, Shiela Steinman, “Louisville Cardinal Editor Visits Israel with AJC’s Project Interchange,” Community Newspaper, Jewish Community Federation of Louisville, January 23, 2009.
January 2 -January 10, 2007 Press
December 26, 2005 – January 2, 2006 Press
December 28, 2002 – January 6, 2003 Press
- In Israel, To Blame is to Perpetuate the Violence by Jordan Berg on Margaret McElligott
- “So much more to Israel and Palestine,” AU Student Journalist Finds by Jordan Berg on Margaret McElligott
- Israel’s Not-so-Everyday Life by Jeremy Harmon
- Terror in Israel not understood by U.S. by Courtney Westerhof
- Coping with terrorism by Dave Ingram, Duke
- Jessica Wanke, editor-in-chief, Arizona State University
- Look Before You Speak by Kate Rakoczy, The Harvard Crimson
- Nick Choate, editor-in-chief, University of Missouri-Columbia
- William Sullivan, editor-in-chief, University of Toledo